The New Milford Baptist Church was founded in 1814 with the help of local Baptist brethren from Roxbury. Two congregations of Baptists were meeting in New Milford; one in Northville and one in Merryall on West Meetinghouse Road. They combined and used a parishioner’s large home, at 60 Little Bear Hill Road, for services.
In 1821, a meetinghouse was erected on property in Northville on the west side of Rte. 202. Between 1956-58 the historic meetinghouse was moved to the corner of Buckingham road and rte. 202. That building served the congregation well for 169 years.
In the 1970’s, “First” was added to the name of the church to distinguish it from several new Baptist churches in the area. In the 1980’s, the meetinghouse property on Buckingham Road was sold. On nearby Little Bear Hill Road 6.5 acres of land on the West side of Rte. 202 was purchased.
Until the present church was built, worship services were held at Schaghticoke School on Hipp Road. The old colonial farmhouse which existed on the new property was used for several years as church offices and meeting rooms.
We moved into the new, much larger church building in 1992. At that time, the name of the church was changed once again to Northville Baptist Church. Church offices in the old homestead were moved to the new building and the home was renovated extensively and is now used as the parsonage.
Northville Baptist Church has long been a positive presence in our community as well as a launching pad for the work of Christ around the world. Through the years, our church has sent missionaries to China, Burma, Thailand, Africa, India, Peru, and Mexico. This tradition continues today as members of our church sacrifice their time and money to help others in need around the world.